FairWarning is looking for a new leader to carry on our tradition of producing tough watchdog journalism.
Founded by Myron Levin, a veteran investigative reporter, FairWarning and its small, dedicated staff produce deeply-reported stories that appear in print, online and broadcast editions of dozens of media outlets.
With a focus on public health, consumer and environmental issues, and related topics of government and business accountability, FairWarning recently marked its seventh anniversary as a nonprofit news organization.
FairWarning is looking for an executive director who shares our sense of mission and has the experience and skills to increase the size and impact of the organization. This new leader will also have broad responsibility for editorial content, including supervising assignments and providing guidance to editorial staff and freelance contributors.
Working with our 11-member board, the executive director will raise money from grants, individual donations and earned income and be responsible for extending and maintaining relationships with the media partners that co-publish FairWarning’s content.
Essential Qualifications and Responsibilities:
- A minimum 12 years’ experience as a reporter and editor, including a background in investigative reporting, strong news judgment and familiarity with the issues we cover.
- Knowledge of digital and social media.
- Provide guidance and support to the board of directors.
- Assist in strengthening the board by recruiting and engaging new members.
Fundraising and Marketing
- Must be willing to raise money to sustain and expand the organization by meeting with current and potential donors and planning fundraising events. Fundraising experience is preferred.
- Build and maintain relationships with media partners that co-publish our content.
- Expand and maximize FairWarning’s social media presence.